Jan 19, 2009

Book - “KNOW THYSELF”

“KNOW THYSELF”
by Shri G. K. Pradhan

Some of the books are prized possessions. Know Thyself is one of such book. I really enjoy the reading of this book & I must confess that I will not part away with this book (if that is not possible then I will buy new one).

The book start with train journey, of 6 different persons from Delhi to Mumbai. The six persons were one lawyer (author), businessman, Professor, Principal (lady), Father (Christian Priest) & Swamiji.

Swamji, the enlightened soul, preaches on various subjects, clear doubts on various universal problems of fellow passengers. Their journey towards self-realization does not end with the train journey. They meet again for further teachings from Swamji.

The main core or thought of the book is the title itself.

Swamiji emphasized, on understanding “oneself”, instead of following any religion, guru or japp, procedures etc.

I am proud to admit that I could not get 1% of the book. We have to read between the lines to understand the message. I know I am not at stage to understand the smallest point of the great thoughts. Still I feel somewhere in my heart I got some hint. I am sure that over a period when I become more mature / aware I could at least understand some part.

It is must read for all, it is beneficial & thought provoking.

Khushal Gohil
19/01/2008


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, am glad to find someone else also enjoyed the book. I read on and off, its a lot to take in at once but I thought I might mention on your comment below

"...when I become more mature / aware I could at least understand some part."

The author mentions a very important concept which is the falsity of psychological becoming and time. we delude ourselves that we are not "yet" mature (i.e chronological time causes some kind of a maturing of the psyche ) or that we lack something that requires the pursuit of a goal.

Enjoy the discovering.

Unknown said...

The book was initiated by Shri G K Pradhan, But was completed using his 40 page manuscript by Prof M N Zoal. Marathi translation of the book by Prof M N Zoal of this book is also available.