Jan 19, 2009

Book -The Thousand Splendid Suns

The Thousand Splendid Suns

- Khaled Hossein

I once again want to thank my colleague for giving me nicest books to read,

This book is based on the backdrop of disturbed Afghanistan. The story revolves in the era of Pre-Taliban period, Taliban dominated Afganistan period & current states i.e. US invaded times.

The story has two main characters Mariam & Laila.

Mariam born with a harami tag, suffers all types of known pains during her life. There is hardly any moment when she is really happy. Her happy moments are the moments she accepted as happy moments but as such there is no joy in her life. I really felt sorry for her character. God has given her choicest problems to suffer in her entire life.

Laila also get in troubled times but her life do not start with bad things. She had education, lover, loving father & determination. She also tastes pain, as she was a woman living in Afganistan in taliban dominance.

The destiny holds the premises where both find anger & ultimately solace with each other.

It is true that in war, whoever wins but “WOMEN” always loose. However when war is within the country, not only WOMEN but children also loose.

The story is very neatly told & at times tastes your ability to digest pains.

The story is very gripping & it was very hard for me to leave the book down.

Once I started reading book, I was always wondered how it will end. The end is very good & shows hope for future.

I like the book & concept,

With love,

Khushal
19/01/2009

No comments: